Membership in the SOA is open to those who own property on Lake Placid. It is a 501(c)(4) whose purpose is to protect the ecology and beauty of Lake Placid and its shores. The organization is dedicated to keeping the quality of the water one of the highest in New York State; to keeping the lake free of invasive species; and to keeping the waters safe for the enjoyment of all.
Your annual dues make it possible for the SOA to:
- Maintain the water level of Lake Placid by managing the Dam
- Conduct testing of Shore Owner’s tap water
- Organize and subsidize periodic septic pump-outs for boat access only camps to ensure clean water through proper septic maintenance, as required by law in the Town of North Elba
- Provide a rapid response to the threat of invasive species facing Lake Placid since the first discovery of Variable Leaf Milfoil in Paradox Bay in 2009
- Conduct the Citizens Statewide Lake Assessment Program, a volunteer lake monitoring program run by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation and the NYS Federation of Lake Associations, which collects and tracks markers of lake health