About the LPSOA
“Preserving Lake Placid’s ecology, history and scenic beauty”
The LPSOA was founded more than 120 years ago in 1893 to maintain the value of life on the lake. The LPSOA continues that mission today, preserving the quality of the lake shores and water while keeping the lake safe for transportation and pleasure. The LPSOA has an 18-member Board of Trustees, all elected by the Association’s membership.
LPSOA Origins and History
The LPSOA got its start in 1892 when a group of shoreowners, displeased with the lake’s seasonal water level fluctuations, organized to secure the purchase of what is now known as “the dam,” which was constructed in 1846 to supply power to Peru Steel Ore’s iron works. The following summer, on July 18, 1893, the LPSOA was officially incorporated.
In 1901, the LPSOA rebuilt the wooden structure into a masonry dam to conform to an agreed upon lake level. The venerable dam stood the test of time until needing to be rebuilt in 1994, with funding coming from the LPSOA’s cash reserves and contributions from the Lake Placid Land Conservancy (formerly the Placid Lake Foundation).
The dam was far from LPSOA’s sole effort at improving life on Lake Placid. The Association maintains the bridge across from Outlet Brook, which was replaced in 1994 and subsequently dedicated to LPSOA member, honorary trustee and longtime chairman of the docks and dam committee, Harry W. Voege.
For many years the LPSOA maintained the navigation marking system on the lake, first with LPSOA flags and oil lamps, and later with electric and battery powered lights until the New York State Conservation Department, and later the Department of Environmental Conservation, undertook the task in 1969.
The LPSOA has taken a leading role in fire protection along the lakeshore since 1900, when the Association installed a fire pump on the steamer Doris before providing its own fireboats, the SOA I and SOA II. The LPSOA also distributed reflective number plates for each camp dock to aid fire and rescue personnel in the event of an emergency.
The LPSOA’s commitment to preserving Lake Placid’s beauty and quality extends to protecting land and forest protection surrounding the lake. Several members have extended their land holdings for the express purpose of keeping the shore free of logging. The Association was involved in the 1915 amendment to the Constitution of the State of New York which authorized a $10,000,000 bond for the acquisition of lands in the Forest Preserve, as well as additional acquisitions of Mt. Alton and the Mt. Whitney range in 1921 and 1925 to complete the protection of the forests and watershed surrounding Lake Placid. The LPSOA has also been instrumental in the state acquisition of lands on Buck Island, Moose Island and the Peninsula, among other smaller properties on the shorefront.